The first medicine manufacturing company in India


Bengal Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd., formerly Bengal Chemical & Pharmaceutical Works Ltd. (BCPW) is the oldest Indian Pharmaceutical Manufacturing company. It is a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) established in Kolkata and India's first pharmaceutical (medicine) manufacturing company.

Bengal Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals was founded by Acharya Prafulla Chandra Ray, widely considered the father of Indian chemistry, in 1892. After completing his doctoral degree from Edinburgh University in 1887, Ray worked as a professor at Presidency College, Kolkata, before he decided to start Bengal Chemical Works. It functioned as a laboratory initially, but Ray turned it into a company, Bengal Chemicals and Pharmaceutical Works Pvt Ltd, in 1901.

Acharya P C Ray took a rented house at 91 Upper Circular Road, Calcutta and started business with a meager capital of Rs 700.00. Since inception of the Company he was very much quality conscious and produced various products of British Pharmacopoeia standard. Eminent Doctors with nationalistic feeling like Dr R G Kar, Dr N R Sarkar, Dr S P Sarbadhikari, Dr Amulya Charan Bose, etc. came forward and patronized the products. The reputation of the Company started enhancing rapidly, when Acharya P C Ray felt of pumping more fund in the Company to produce on a large scale. This idea transpired to convert into a Limited Company and on 12th April, 1901 the name of the Company was styled as Bengal Chemical and Pharmaceutical Works Ltd. (BCPW), retaining the same premises at 91 Upper Circular Road, Calcutta.

After starting with one factory at Kolkatta, three more factories were established – one in Panihati, one in Mumbai and one in Kanpur. Company were doing well till the death of founder Acharya P C Ray in 1942. After that company started to struggle and recorded loss since 1950 to next 6 decades until finally posting a profit of 4 crore (US$560,000) in the 2016–2017 fiscal year.

During the 1965s, the market situation acted as deterrent to growth and the company entered a dark phase in 1970s. The management of the company was taken over by the government of India on 15 December 1977 and nationalized on 15 December 1980. A new company was formed under the name and style Bengal Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd. in 1981.

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular posts from this blog

What are the Schedules under Drug and Cosmetic Act, 1940 & Rules 1945?

State Pharmacy Council, Its Constitution and Composition and Functions

Pharmacy Council of India, Its Constitution and Composition and Functions